The Department of English of University of Washington, USA, is providing various creative writing scholarships and prizes. Apply now!
About University of Washington
The University of Washington is a public research university in Seattle, Washington. Founded in 1861, Washington is one of the oldest universities on the West Coast; it was established in Seattle approximately a decade after the city’s founding.
About the Department of English at University of Washington
The Department of English is large and programmatically diverse. They offer a BA and a Minor on the undergraduate level, and have three graduate programs, MA/Ph.D., MFA, and MAT(ESOL).
They include three writing programs: Writing and Rhetoric, Writing Across Campus, and Creative Writing. In addition to running several public scholarship initiatives, they oversee multiple community-oriented teaching and training programs.
About their Scholarships and Prizes
The Department of English at the University of Washington is providing various creative writing scholarships and prizes. Some of these are listed here under:
- Charlotte Paul Reese Fiction Award: Undergraduate, $2,400 prize (1,91,182.80 Indian Rupee).
- Eugene Van Buren Prize for Fiction: Undergraduate/Graduate $6,000 (4,77,957.00 Indian Rupee) to be divided among 1 or 2 winners.
- David Guterson Award: Graduate, fiction $1500 (1,19,489.25 Indian Rupee).
- Joan Grayston Poetry Prize: Undergraduate and Graduate student $1,500 each (1,19,489.25 Indian Rupee).
- Arthur Oberg Award for Poetry: Undergraduate $2,000 (1,59,313.00 Indian Rupee).
- Academy of American Poets Prize: Undergraduate/Graduate $100 (7,965.65 Indian Rupee).
Prose or Poetry
- Grace Milliman Pollock Scholarship for Creative Writing: Graduate or undergraduate, $11,000 (8,76,254.50 Indian Rupee).
- Edith K Draham Scholarship: Undergraduate $6,000 (4,77,957.00 Indian Rupee).
- Bentley MFA Award in Creative Writing: One award in poetry and one in prose, $1,500 each (1,19,489.25 Indian Rupee).
How to Apply?
- Fill out the online cover sheet.
- Email cwriting[at]uw[dot]edu a Creative Writing Sample for EACH CONTEST. Attachment title and each page of the submission should include Prize or Scholarship Name and your initials (ex. Milliman – DC, Van Buren – DC).
Note that some awards have specific requirements. If no requirements are listed in the contest descriptions, please follow these guidelines: 2-3 short stories or works of creative nonfiction or a novel excerpt (up to 30 pages/9,000 words). If you are excerpting from a longer work, please provide a synopsis of the whole.
Winners will be notified by the end of the Spring Quarter.