Reason Magazine is inviting submissions and pitches from writers for publication. Submit yours now and get published with them!
Founded in 1968, Reason is the nation’s leading libertarian magazine. They produce hard-hitting independent journalism on civil liberties, politics, technology, culture, policy, and commerce. As the magazine of free minds and free markets, Reason exists outside of the left/right echo chamber. Their goal is to deliver fresh, unbiased information and insights to their readers, viewers, and listeners every day.
Submission and Pitching Guidelines
- Reason rarely accepts unsolicited manuscripts. They will, of course, consider such manuscripts and they try to answer all queries and to accept or reject unsolicited manuscripts promptly. Submissions must be exclusive to Reason.
- They prefer queries to unsolicited manuscripts. Queries should give a good idea of the proposed article’s content and, where applicable, sources. Please tell them your relevant background and send samples of your published writings.
- They do not accept payment to run content/articles, nor do they do link exchanges.
- Reason covers politics, economics, culture, and science from a broad-minded libertarian perspective. They look for original analysis and research and do not like simple rehashes of well-worn libertarian positions. They ask that writers read recent issues of Reason to get a feel for the subjects they cover and the style of writing they prefer.
- Reason magazine runs short columns as well as longform articles ranging from 600 to 5,000 words in length. Reason.com articles tend to be shorter.
- Fees vary. They pay upon publication.
How to Submit and/or Pitch?
- Manuscripts and queries for Reason magazine and Reason.com may be submitted to Senior Editor Brian Doherty at submissions[at]reason[dot]com.
- If you must send manuscripts or queries by mail, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Manuscripts to be returned must include an envelope with sufficient postage. Unsolicited manuscripts and query letters should be sent to the attention of Senior Editor Brian Doherty at 5737 Mesmer Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90230.